Thursday, 7 October 2010

My favourite paintings

Self Portrait by Picasso (1901), Girl in a Chemise by Picasso (1905), Starry Night Over the Rhone by Van Gogh (1888), Peach Tree in Blossom by Van Gogh (1888), Branches with Almond Blossom by Van Gogh (1890), The Kiss by Gustav Klimt (1907) The Lady of Shallot by J.W. Waterhouse (1888)

I've wanted to write a blog post about my favourite art for a while. I finally sat down today and made a little list, which you will have seen above.

What I didn't realise, or at least had forgotten from the hazy days of A-level art, is that my favourite paintings all seem to be of the 1880 - 1907 period, which is (no, you've probably not guessed it, unless you did English with me at Leeds), coincidentally, the fin de siècle, i.e. my favourite literary period too. I'm pretty spooked by this. Maybe I have forgotten a lot of my art knowledge (which I like to think is at least reasonable - my parents are both artists, I loved art at school, and I did History of Art in my first year of university), but I think this is massively odd - I wasn't as into literature when I was at school as I am now, and when I went to university, I didn't have as much time for art - so I honestly haven't connected the two in much of a way until now.

As I've already gone into, the fin de siècle is the bit at the end of the eighteenth century when people got frightened about the passing of time and basically freaked out about things like illness, religion, disease, crime, decadence, and the general downwards spiral of society. Literature took a creepy, dark turn, resulting in some of the best gothic books ever written (think Oscar Wilde and Thomas Hardy). And in terms of my favourite paintings, I can see the same themes! There are depressed, blue tones in Picasso and Van Gogh, there are tragic women in Waterhouse and Picasso, and there is tons of gold and opulence in Klimpt. My favourite things in art, be it literature or painting, are all present - women with a story to tell, the eery gothic, and the extravagance of gold and jewels. I LOVE WEIRD, DEPRESSING STUFF.

4 comments:

  1. yesss. that is my favorite period of Picasso's work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl in a Chemise! Yes! Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmm i love Picasso's blue period so much. i think it is overlooked quite a bit? there are so many lovely things during the blue period, i could have gone on and on forever!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh i have a big print of that gustav klimt in my room i love it so so much :)

    ReplyDelete